Take the opportunity to accompany Sudhir Shivaram – India’s most well known wildlife photographer on an unforgettable photo tour to Masai Mara to photograph one of the 7 wonders of the world – The Great Migration. If you want to experience some truly unique wildlife and nature, then this is the perfect photo tour for you.
Why do this photography learning tour with SSP?
– You can make the payment in 3 easy instalments
– Accommodation in upscale resorts with top-of-the-line facilities.
– Flying directly to Masai Mara from Nairobi saves on-road time so you can spend more time in the parks.
– Expert drivers and guides/naturalists trained to position the vehicles to help photographers achieve the right angles.
– On-field guidance from Sudhir during the safaris to help you get the best images.
– On-field review of images and feedback to nurture in-depth learning.
– Planned during the ideal season to maximise photography opportunities.
Who should attend this tour?
– Quite simply, this tour is for anyone who wants to be an awesome wildlife photographer.
– You can be a rank beginner or have some experience wielding the camera, either way, SSP’s photography learning tour is bound to enhance your skill and knowledge.
– This is the ideal tour if you are looking to capture some great action shots of the migration and any hunt sequences.
What can you expect from this tour?
– Practical on-field learning from Sudhir.
– Understand the various challenges of wildlife photography and learn how to arrive at the correct camera setting for any given situation.
– Pre-visualising your images in the field and how to arrive at the camera setting for that.
– Discussions back in the camp as well to ensure all doubts are cleared for your next safari.
– At the end of this tour, gain enough practice and confidence to put your camera to optimal use – with respect to basic and certain advanced camera settings.
– Move away from taking images to making images.
– Develop an eye for what makes for an award-winning image.
Nothing gets in the way of our photography learning/teaching. Until it’s time for lunch, that is. And dinner. And breakfast. During which time, nothing comes between us and the food. As for the fun part, when we do what we love, fun happens. Just as polite hellos turn to boisterous fist bumps; quiet handshakes turn to backslapping bear hugs; acquaintances become friends for life.
The trip is ex-Nairobi.
Please book any flight which arrives at JKIA Nairobi before 10:30am on day 1 of the workshop. For return flight, book any flight which departs Nairobi after 8:00pm on last day of workshop.
Our own chartered flight from Nairobi - Masai Mara - Nairobi
2 camera bodies. 1 full frame and the other crop sensor is recommended. For wide angle shots, you will need a 16-35mm and 70-200mm range lens. Then you an have the 100-400 or the 200-500/150-600 zoom lens and finally you can get the 500/600/800mm biggies. You will need every single lens in Masai Mara as the opportunities are huge.
5 nights/6 days @Ashnil Mara Camp
Check-in: By 2pm (day 1 of workshop). Check-out: 10.00 am (last day of workshop)
All-day(optional) or morning 6am to 11am and then 3:30pm to 6:30pm safaris in open vehicles
Max temp: 30°C and Min temp: 18°C. Do get warm clothes for early morning and late evening.
The key species we will photograph are Lion, Cheetah, Wildebeest, Hippo, Zebra, Giraffe, Elephants and hopefully the elusive Leopard. The river crossing will be the main attraction to shoot.
The recommended Camera gear, Binoculars, Hat, Sunglasses, Essential medicines.
The Great Migration is an event not to be missed. Be part of this Wildlife Photography Worksop designed for photographers to capture all the action in an exclusive way. Every single aspect planned to make the best out of the trip.
Important aspects of the entire workshop
Travel by private charter flight from Nairobi to Masai Mara and back to Nairobi.
– No wasting precious time spending the whole day on the road to the Mara.
– On your arrival to Nairobi, you will be transferred to Wilson airport where your private charter flight will be waiting and you will fly directly to the Mara.
– You will be allowed to carry the camera bag by flight, and all other luggage will be got to the camp by road.
Ashnil Mara Camp
Our luxury Masai Mara Camp is arguably in one of the very best positions in the Masai Mara for game viewing and also provides the perfect setting to sit and relax at the end of a exciting day of game drives.
The All-Important Safari Vehicle
Perhaps nothing is as important to the wildlife photographer as his vehicle. Here is a sample photo of the type of vehicle we will be using on this safari:
– Fully open-sided vehicles which will give you fantastic angles and make for a comfortable shooting environment. This assumes significance when you are spending long hours in a vehicle.
– The top opens up and you can stand and shoot.
– Although these are large enough to comfortably accommodate 9 people, on this safari there will be only 3 or 4 people per vehicle based on batch size of 12-14. More space for you. More room for your equipment as well.
– WiFi hotspot in all vehicles.
– Snacks (juice, fruit and sandwiches) on arrival at the Jomo Kenyatta Airport
– Vegetarian and Non- Vegetarian meals
– Indian food will be served, courtesy a trained chef – vegetarian and non-vegetarian selection.
– Hot lunch delivered to you in the field, in case you are doing full-day safari.
– Lunch on last day, since you are departing in the afternoon.
INR Rs 2,90,000 per person (Double Occupancy) with Sudhir Shivaram as your tour leader and mentor.
Before the Workshop
We will ask you for:
– some basic information about your equipment
– your photos/portfolio
– your expectations from the workshop
– Whatsapp group of the participants will be formed 1 month prior to the workshop dates so that your learning starts much in advance and you are well prepared for the tour.
Communicating your expectations beforehand will ensure that Sudhir addresses them during individual interactions with you.
During the Workshop
– Sudhir will demonstrate the best way to approach and shoot the subjects and give deeper insights on their behavioural aspects.
– He will introduce the advanced custom function settings of your camera. A firm understanding of these settings will be your first step toward shooting like a pro.
– In the park, he will continually guide you based on the field conditions and subjects.
– Knowledge sharing and image review will continue through the evenings as Sudhir interacts with you with focused inputs to reinforce the day’s learning.
– You will have assignments to complete, giving you ample scope to assimilate and apply all that you have learnt.
After the Workshop
Your pursuit of photography knowledge doesn’t end with the workshop. The SSP Community is your gateway to continued learning and interaction, apart from being the ideal platform to showcase your best images. In addition to image review and critique by Sudhir and his team, you also gain the perfect peer group interaction to grow as a photographer. Theme-based assignments, healthy discussions, candid feedback, equipment reviews and resale are the other great perks of being part of this community.
*The below topics will be covered and the participants will learn how to apply these concepts in wildlife photography.
Fundamental and Advanced Concepts of Photography:
– Manual and advanced autofocus (focusing points, autofocus lock, single or continuous focus, Focusing Sensors, AF cases, Advanced AF settings of camera)
– Manual exposure (ISO, shutter speed, Aperture)- We will use theory of reciprocity to arrive at the combination.
– Metering modes (evaluative, matrix, spot metering) – Practically understand when to use what metering.
– Motion (freezing, blurring and panning) – Creative area of photography
– Understanding exposure – the 18% concept
– Composition (framing) – Create story telling images.
– Elements of design (seeing v/s looking)
– Completing the story
During the course of the workshop, you will be taken through the advanced concepts of image processing and the following topics will be covered:
– Working with RAW files
– Levels, curves, contrast, saturation adjustments (All through layers and masking)
– Image sharpening, cloning, dodge and burn
– Noise reduction.
– Saving for web/ printing
During the Field Outing:
During the field outing, your mentor Sudhir Shivaram will help you make memorable images. Inputs provided on the field will enable you make the most of the opportunity.
The teaching and learning will not stop after the workshop. In fact this is just the starting point. You will be part of the SSP community of the SSP website where your learning and interactions with fellow photographers continues.
On arrival at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, our representative will greet you, assist with immigration clearance and transfer you to Wilson airport where you will board the chartered flight to Mara for a prompt check-in at the Mara Ashnil. After a lovely lunch, you will depart for an afternoon game drive to see the game of Savannah. Dinner and overnight at Ashnil camp.
A total of 5 nights at the Mara Ashnil and aiming for full day safaris. The focus of these full days will be to capture river crossings and other action sequences. The variety and density of wildlife in the Mara never disappoints, and especially not in peak season. Sudhir will interact with the group during the workshop so that you can benefit to the fullest from his expert tutelage.
We do the morning game drive and return to the camp for a late lunch. We relax for sometime and later will be driven to the airstrip for our flight back to Wilson airport and then a drop to to JKIA, Nairobi airport, from where you will catch your international flight home. The charter flight will be timed in accordance with the international flight departure timelines. Once again, this is door-to-door service, with no wasted time at all.
Accommodation: Ashnil Mara Camp
Ashnil Mara Camp, with 50 luxury tents, is located in the Masai Mara National Reserve and close to the Mara River, famous for the wildebeest migration.
Our luxury Masai Mara Camp is arguably in one of the very best positions in the Masai Mara for game viewing and also provides the perfect setting to sit and relax at the end of a exciting day of game drives. The Ashnil Mara Camp is a 4 – 5 hour drive from Nairobi or there are daily scheduled flights from Nairobi to the Masai Mara which take just 45 mins. You may also fly from the Mombasa Coast to our luxury tented camp in just 2 hrs.
USD $4050 (plus 5% GST) on Double Occupancy
For INR calculation we have considered the tour price as INR 2,90,000. The final pricing will be calculated based on the exchange rates at the time of final payment to vendors.
– Arrival – meet and greet at JKIA
– Transfer to Wilson airport
– Drop-off and goodbye at JKIA
– Twin beds/Double beds
– Hot water for bathing
– Hot tea and coffee in the morning
– WiFi in camp
– Charging facilities in the tents
– All park fees
– Snacks (juice, fruit and sandwiches) on arrival at the Jomo Kenyatta Airport.
– Vegetarian and Non- Vegetarian meals
– Indian food will be served courtesy a trained chef – vegetarian and non-vegetarian selection.
– Lunch on last day, since you are departing in the afternoon.
– Silver-level guides
– Flexibility of doing game drives as per requirement of group
– Full-day game drives to be done, if required
– 4 open vehicles
– 3 or 4 persons per vehicle depending on group size
– Vehicles with WiFi hotspots
– Charter Aircraft – Wilson Airport to Mara and back.
– On this flight, you will be allowed to carry the camera bag (max. 15 kg); all other luggage will be got to the camp by road.
– International air tickets and visa fees
– International travel & medical insurance and vaccinations
– Porterage, tipping and gratuities to staff and guides
– Hot air balloon safari will be charged extra on actual
– Extra meals, visits and activities not mentioned in the “INCLUSIONS” section
– Shopping and other items of a personal nature
– Alcohol (House drinks, Gin, Vodka, Beer, soft drinks)
– Anything else not mentioned in the “INCLUSIONS”
YOUR CANCELLATION & REFUND
We understand that sometimes you unfortunately have to cancel a tour. Therefore, the following are the cancellation policies for our tours:
– 25% deposit is non refundable booking fee.
– Balance 75% to be paid 60 days prior to departure date.
– even though initial 25% booking fee will be non-refundable, in event of tour getting cancelled (for whatever reasons), we will refund full amount charged from the clients.
The below refund policy will be applicable to amount outside of the 25% deposit amount.
90-60 days before departure, 50% of above mentioned tour cost will be refunded.
59-31 days before departure, 25% of above mentioned tour cost will be refunded.
30 days or less before departure, no refund.
This policy also applies to pre- and post-trip extensions. Any airline tickets issued are subject to the carrier’s refund policy. Leaving a tour in progress will not result in a refund, and no refunds will be made for any unused portions of a tour.
All cancellation notices must be received in writing and emailed to info at sudhirshivaram.com
We reserve the right to cancel the tour due to few guests that have signed up for the tour, strikes, war, natural disasters or other unforeseen circumstances that make the tour inappropriate. If a tour is canceled prior to departure, you will be fully refunded.
We are not responsible for any refund for non-refundable airline tickets or for any airline tickets purchased by the passenger directly from an airline or travel agent.
In the event of the photo leader being unable to attend due to illness or other circumstances beyond our control, a photo leader of the same standard will be provided.
EXCHANGE RATES AND PRICE CHANGE
Our tours are based on different currencies and exchange rates. The currency and rate used for calculating are listed under the “Cost” sections of the tour page. In terms of fluctuations in exchange rates a surcharge will be invoiced. Notification will be given at the time of final invoicing.
The prices are subject to change due to unforeseen circumstances such as increase in fuel prices, government surcharges and other increases beyond our control. While we will do everything possible to maintain the listed prices, if it is necessary to levy a surcharge, we reserve the right to do so, and notification will be given at the time of final invoicing.
Reviews and Testimonials from SSP Students
I have been with Sudhir on many Photo tours. As a Woman traveller, I find Sudhir's Photo tours extremely safe and professional. The stay is very comfortable. The drivers and guides that cater to our safari tours are very knowledgable and know the forests and its animals well. The drivers and Guides are chosen by Sudhir personally to ensure the best experience to his tour participants. The...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir's photo tours are very carefully designed with a perfect balance of both theoretical and practical aspects of photography. The workshops are very interactive and Sudhir is always available to answer the questions patiently from the participants. He ensures that he accompanies all the participants equally during the safaris. To ensure best sightings and photo opportunities, Sudhir engages the best and most experienced drivers and guides at the parks. During...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir brings a very effective blend of passion and skills to the table and helps you uncover new facets of yourself in every session. His understanding that there really is no magical “one size fits all” approach to teaching enables him to adapt and switch gears as required to get the results you are after. Sudhir has been an invaluable asset in helping me nurture my understanding of wildlife and...
Do you want to be one of the first to know about our events, discounts and new content?