The Stomping Ground – the habitat
Tadoba’s landscape is a potpourri of densely forested hills, meadows, patches of bamboos, ravines and riverbeds offering the perfect living spaces for a melange of life forms.
The Camera – shooting opportunities
The soft winter light adds to the ambience to help create vivid frames. The tigers here are quite the posers and have learnt to take human presence and activity in their stride. However, often their blink-and-you-miss appearances can present a real challenge. Sudhir’s inputs on the basics of camera settings in any light condition or situation will come in handy during such times. These lessons continue throughout the workshop – be it at the resort or in the field.
The Camaraderie – fun, food and friends
Photography is fun, no doubt. And with a bunch of hardcore photographers, it’s bound to be a riot. We always look forward to bonding as a group and forging an association that lasts long after the workshop has ended.
Chandrapur Rly Stn
Plan to reach Nagpur before 8:30 am on day 1 of workshop
Book any flight after 5:00 pm on last day of workshop
We will coordinate
with you for
2 camera bodies
any wide angle lens
Long tele of 500mm or 600mm
4 nights/5 days
@Irai Safari Retreat
Check-in: 12 pm (day 1 of workshop)
Check-out: 12 pm (last day of workshop)
Total safaris - 8
AM: 6:30 to 11:00
PM: 2:00 to 6:00
Max temp: 29°C
Min temp: 13°C
Common bird species
Arrive at Tadoba and check in to Irai Safari Retreat by noon. We can help you with transport coordination on actual costing.
Wake-up call at 5am
A morning ride into the park and return for breakfast.
Before the Workshop
We will ask you for:
– some basic information about your equipment
– your photos/portfolio
– your expectations from the workshop
Based on this, Sudhir will chart out best practices for your set of equipment. He will review the images and judge the areas that need working on.
Communicating your expectations beforehand will ensure that Sudhir addresses them during individual interactions with you.
During the Workshop
– Sudhir will demonstrate the best way to approach and shoot the subjects and give deeper insights on their behavioural aspects.
– He will introduce the advanced custom function settings of your camera. A firm understanding of these settings will be your first step toward shooting like a pro.
– In the park, he will continually guide you based on the field conditions and subjects.
– Knowledge sharing and image review will continue through the evenings as Sudhir interacts with you with focused inputs to reinforce the day’s learning.
– You will have assignments to complete, giving you ample scope to assimilate and apply all that you have learnt.
*For a detailed list of the topics covered, please scroll down.
After the Workshop
Your pursuit of photography knowledge doesn’t end with the workshop. The SSP Community is your gateway to continued learning and interaction, apart from being the ideal platform to showcase your best images. In addition to image review and critique by Sudhir and his team, you also gain the perfect peer group interaction to grow as a photographer. Theme-based assignments, healthy discussions, candid feedback, equipment reviews and resale are the other great perks of being part of this community.
*The below topics will be covered and the participants will learn how to apply these concepts in wildlife photography.
– Manual and autofocus (focusing points, autofocus lock, single or continuous focus)
– Manual exposure (ISO, shutter speeds, f/ stops and the light meter)
– Metering modes (evaluative, matrix, spot metering)
– Depth of field (shallow, deep, hyper focal distance)
– Motion (freezing, blurring and panning)
– Picture styles / picture control (colour, black and white, sepia etc…)
– Aperture priority, shutter speed priority, Manual exposure and other program modes
– In-depth coverage of Spot Metering, Evaluative / Matrix Metering, Partial Metering and Centre-Weighted Average
– Understanding exposure – the 18% concept
– White balance (pre-set and custom)
– Different kind of outdoor lighting and how to study / make use of it.
– Composition (framing)
– Elements of design (seeing v/s looking)
– Lenses and perspective (the right choice of focal length)
– Completing the story
During the course of the workshop, you will be taken through the fundamentals of image processing, and the following topics will be covered:
– Colour management policies (colour settings, working space, ICC profiles etc.)
– Working with RAW files
– Cropping and image editing
– Levels, curves, contrast, saturation adjustments
– Image sharpening, cloning, dodge and burn
– Noise reduction
– Advance concepts of targeted adjustments using masking and layers technique
– Saving for web/ printing
Rs. 50,000/- per person (Indian nationals) (plus 5% GST)
Rs. 60,000/- per person (foreign nationals) (plus 5% GST)
– Accommodation and all meals for 5 days and 4 nights at the Irai Safari Retreat on double occupancy
– 8 safaris
– National park entry, mandatory guide fees
– Rail or air fare
– Any other services or meals which are not mentioned in the above “Includes” section
– Equipment fees per safari – Rs 250 per lens (200mm and above) to be paid to the forest department at the time of safari
– Expense of personal nature such as mineral water, tips, laundry, beverages etc.
Irai Safari Retreat
The Irai Safari Retreat is located approximately 100 meters away from the Irai lake and minutes away from the fantastic Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve. The retreat houses six luxury cottages and eight luxury tents. The dinning and recreation rooms offer spectacular views of the lake, both at sunrise and sunset.
Rs 25,000 is non refundable once the Safari Permit is done for the participants. The refund policy below is applicable to remaining amount.
– 80% fee to be refunded if cancellation is done 45 days prior to the event.
– No refund if cancellation is done between 0-45 days of the event.
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Reviews and Testimonials from SSP Students
I have been with Sudhir on many Photo tours. As a Woman traveller, I find Sudhir's Photo tours extremely safe and professional. The stay is very comfortable. The drivers and guides that cater to our safari tours are very knowledgable and know the forests and its animals well. The drivers and Guides are chosen by Sudhir personally to ensure the best experience to his tour participants. The...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir's photo tours are very carefully designed with a perfect balance of both theoretical and practical aspects of photography. The workshops are very interactive and Sudhir is always available to answer the questions patiently from the participants. He ensures that he accompanies all the participants equally during the safaris. To ensure best sightings and photo opportunities, Sudhir engages the best and most experienced drivers and guides at the parks. During...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir brings a very effective blend of passion and skills to the table and helps you uncover new facets of yourself in every session. His understanding that there really is no magical “one size fits all” approach to teaching enables him to adapt and switch gears as required to get the results you are after. Sudhir has been an invaluable asset in helping me nurture my understanding of wildlife and...
Do you want to be one of the first to know about our events, discounts and new content?