Experience Ranthambhore from dawn to dusk. Unrestricted park access, unbridled photography, unmatched learning.
Ranthambhore’s habitat is an interesting mix of terrain ranging from hill slopes and valleys to plains and plateaus interspersing with water bodies – all contributing to the thriving tiger numbers. Relics and ruins dating to its royal past dot the landscape at regular intervals.
Ranthambhore is a good place to polish your portrait photography skills. The animals here are rather unfazed by human presence. Poignant close-up portraits of mammals are a real possibility here. The most common subjects shine through with utmost beauty, frame after evocative frame.
Why do the full day Ranthambhore photography learning tour with SSP?
– Major advantage of zone free access across entire park.
– We can change zones depending on the sighting to maximise our Tiger shooting opportunity.
– We do not have deadline to leave the park in the morning and can spend more time with our subjects studying their behavioural aspects and making our images.
– On field guidance from Sudhir during the safaris to help you get the best images.
– On field review of images and feedback.
– Get the best drivers and guides/naturalists trained to position the vehicles from a photographers point of view.
– We choose the best season to maximise the photography opportunities.
– Best resort with awesome stay and food.
Who should attend this tour?
– Quite simply, this tour is for anyone who wants to be an awesome wildlife photographer.
– You can be a rank beginner or have some experience wielding the camera, either way, SSP’s photography learning tour is bound to enhance your skill and knowledge.
– This is the ideal tour if you are looking to capture our National animal in all its glory, as we always plan Ranthambhore to make the best use of the opportunities available.
What can you expect from this tour?
– Practical on-field learning from Sudhir.
– Understand the various challenges of wildlife photography and learn how to arrive at the correct camera setting for a particular situation.
– Pre-visualising your images in the field and how to arrive at the camera setting for that.
– Discussions back in the camp as well to ensure all doubts are cleared for your next safari.
– At the end of this tour, gain enough practice and confidence to put your camera to optimal use – with respect to basic and certain advanced camera settings.
– Move away from taking images to making images.
A full-day safari need not always be about photography. Amidst the heightened excitement, there are brief periods of lull, when we step out of the shooting mode. We observe the habitat, witness subtle natural history moments, engage in hushed but meaningful conversations. And many a times, simply doze off into the tranquility. But invariably drive out of the forest with a warm glow of quiet ecstasy that only the woods can bring about.
Jaipur airport is around 3.5-hr drive and N. Delhi airport is around 7.5-hr drive. Sawai Madhopur railway station is a 20-min drive from the hotel.
Arrive to reach Jaipur by the first flight so that you can reach Ranthambhore by lunch time on day 1 of the workshop.. Depart Jaipur after 6 pm (last day of workshop).
We will coordinate with you for your pickup/drop from/to airport/rly station. We generally car pool participants arriving at around same time.
We recommend to carry 2 camera bodies along with a combination of a zoom lens like the 70-200 or the 100-400. The second body can have a tele lens like the 500mm/600mm/800mm. The 150-600 range is also an excellent lens for a single body.
4 nights/5 days @ Ranthambhore Regency.
Check-in: Post noon on day 1 of the workshop and Check-out after morning safari on last day of the workshop.
3 full day safaris from morning 5:45am to evening 6:45pm.
Max temp: 45°C and Min temp: 30°C.
The key species we can sight during the workshop are Tigers, Sambar, Spotted Deer, Nilgai and common bird species.
You can get Camera-lens, binoculars, bird book and essential medicines. It's going to be very hot in summers and so light clothing will do.
Here’s an overview of what happens in the full day safaris.
Visitors would now have the option to spend full day in the National Park. Maximum 5 jeeps are permitted to stay inside the park from sunrise to sunset and are provided zone free access across entire park. This safari gives you the best opportunity to see the variety of wildlife animals in the park.
*Visitors receive packed breakfast and lunch and will have a place and time to eat it within the park.
Advantages of Full day safaris
More time– More time in the park simply means more time to track tigers and other wildlife. For full days visitor’s entry is permitted 15 minutes before the normal entry time and also an extra 15 minutes window is available post normal safari timings. We all know the importance of these extra minutes -when we spotted a tiger before everyone arrived, no need to leave an interesting subject just because time is getting over for normal safari. These extra minutes or hours become important in view of the fact that lot of times animal movement happens early morning and late evening.
Better sighting opportunities- With additional time & zone free access one definitely has more sighting opportunity as compared to regular safari. For all you know your jeep could be the only jeep at that spot.
No route restrictions-In a normal safari one has to travel on a preassigned route. At times when you are sure about a potential sighting on a given route you might not be able to secure the route, frustrating at times for sure. You can go to any zone you choose and can even go from one zone to another as many times as you want. This gives you absolute freedom for spotting wildlife.
Hassle free- In a normal safari each time you get a different guide and driver for each time and it is sometimes difficult have similar safari experience on all safaris. In case of full day safari, you have the same driver and naturalist accompanying you on all safaris. This definitely is a huge advantage- since they know your preferences, have knowledge of your equipment and photos made so far which helps in planning safaris and sightings.
Before the Workshop
We will ask you for:
– some basic information about your equipment
– your photos/portfolio
– your expectations from the workshop
Based on this, Sudhir will chart out best practices for your set of equipment. He will review the images and judge the areas that need working on.
Communicating your expectations beforehand will ensure that Sudhir addresses them during individual interactions with you.
During the Workshop
– Sudhir will demonstrate the best way to approach and shoot the subjects and give deeper insights on their behavioural aspects.
– He will introduce the advanced custom function settings of your camera. A firm understanding of these settings will be your first step toward shooting like a pro.
– In the park, he will continually guide you based on the field conditions and subjects.
– Knowledge sharing and image review will continue through the evenings as Sudhir interacts with you with focused inputs to reinforce the day’s learning.
– You will have assignments to complete, giving you ample scope to assimilate and apply all that you have learnt.
After the Workshop
Your pursuit of photography knowledge doesn’t end with the workshop. The SSP Community is your gateway to continued learning and interaction, apart from being the ideal platform to showcase your best images. In addition to image review and critique by Sudhir and his team, you also gain the perfect peer group interaction to grow as a photographer. Theme-based assignments, healthy discussions, candid feedback, equipment reviews and resale are the other great perks of being part of this community.
*The below topics will be covered and the participants will learn how to apply these concepts in wildlife photography.
Fundamental and Advanced Concepts of Photography:
– Manual and autofocus (focusing points, autofocus lock, single or continuous focus, Focusing Sensors, AF cases, Advanced AF settings of camera)
– Manual exposure (ISO, shutter speed, Aperture)
– Metering modes (evaluative, matrix, spot metering)
– Depth of field (shallow, deep, hyper focal distance)
– Motion (freezing, blurring and panning)
– Picture styles / picture control (colour, black and white, sepia etc…)
– Aperture priority, shutter speed priority and program modes
– Understanding exposure – the 18% concept
– White balance (pre-set and custom)
– The temperature of light (natural and artificial colour cast)
– Composition (framing)
– Elements of design (seeing v/s looking)
– Lenses and perspective (the right choice of focal length)
– Completing the story
– Camera settings related to Wildlife Photography.
– Understanding Subject Behavioral aspects.
– Understanding your camera and shooting techniques.
During the course of the workshop, you will be taken through the fundamentals of image processing and the following topics will be covered:
– Colour management policies (colour settings, working space, ICC profiles etc.)
– Working with RAW files
– Cropping and image editing
– Levels, curves, contrast, saturation adjustments (All through layers and masking)
– Image sharpening, cloning, dodge and burn
– Noise reduction.
– Saving for web/ printing
During the Field Outing:
During the field outing, your mentor Sudhir Shivaram will help you make memorable images. Inputs provided on the field will enable you make the most of the opportunity.
The teaching and learning will not stop after the workshop. In fact this is just the starting point. You will be part of the SSP community of the SSP website where your learning and interactions with fellow photographers continues.
INR 92,000/- (plus 5% GST)
*Price is per person on double occupancy basis.
* Additional INR 15,000 for single occupancy
– All costs are ex-Ranthambhore Regency Hotel, Sawai Madhopur. However, at an added cost, we can arrange for transportation.
– Accommodation and all meals for 4 Nights / 5 Days stay at Ranthambhore Regency Hotel.
– 3 full day safaris (3 participants per vehicle), forest entry fee/camera fee/guide charges.
*Any other expenses outside of the above will have to be borne by the participants.
Situated just ten minutes away from India’s most fascinating National Park – known as the Land of Indian Wildlife – Ranthambhore Regency is a gorgeous family-run hotel. Priding itself in its popularity for presenting the best of both worlds – genteel, comfortable hospitality amidst complete wilderness. This hotel offers the perfect Ranthambhore experience for keen travelers. Aiming at providing our guests with a friendly and serene atmosphere while being personally looked after, we proffer every sought after contemporary luxury.
Spread area 2.75 acres of land a grand total of 75 key property overlooking to our maintained verdant garden or to our poolside. The rooms are done kept in mind the modern comfort of our guests while being environment friendly.
Terms and Cancellation Policy:
INR 74,000 is non refundable once the payment is done.
100% of the remaining amount will be refunded if cancelled 45 days prior to the workshop start date.
No refund if cancellation is done between 0-45 days of the event.
Full amount to be paid 60 days prior to the workshop starting date.
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Reviews and Testimonials from SSP Students
I have been with Sudhir on many Photo tours. As a Woman traveller, I find Sudhir's Photo tours extremely safe and professional. The stay is very comfortable. The drivers and guides that cater to our safari tours are very knowledgable and know the forests and its animals well. The drivers and Guides are chosen by Sudhir personally to ensure the best experience to his tour participants. The...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir's photo tours are very carefully designed with a perfect balance of both theoretical and practical aspects of photography. The workshops are very interactive and Sudhir is always available to answer the questions patiently from the participants. He ensures that he accompanies all the participants equally during the safaris. To ensure best sightings and photo opportunities, Sudhir engages the best and most experienced drivers and guides at the parks. During...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir brings a very effective blend of passion and skills to the table and helps you uncover new facets of yourself in every session. His understanding that there really is no magical “one size fits all” approach to teaching enables him to adapt and switch gears as required to get the results you are after. Sudhir has been an invaluable asset in helping me nurture my understanding of wildlife and...
Do you want to be one of the first to know about our events, discounts and new content?