Rann, meaning salt marsh, is a unique geographical formation that is dreary, desolate, dramatic, and jaw-dropping – all at once. Remarkably rich in an array of faunal species, this photogenic landscape makes for a textbook learning of wildlife, bird, and nature photography. Little Rann of Kutch is home to the Asiatic Wild Ass and numerous other mammal species including the Indian wolf, desert fox, nilgai, hyenas, hares, hedgehogs among others. Flamingos, pond herons, egrets, sarus cranes are only a few of the hundreds of bird species found here.
Whether you are keen to master your bird photography techniques or it is nature photography that excites you, there is something at Rann for everyone.
> Ahmedabad Airport
> Ahmedabad Rly Stn
> Viramgram Rly Stn
Arrive at Ahmedabad by 9 am
(day 1 of workshop)
Depart Ahmedabad after
6 pm (last day of workshop)
We will coordinate
with you for
2 camera bodies
any wide angle lens
Long tele of 500mm or 600mm
3 nights/4 days
@ Rann Riders
Check-in: 12 pm
(day 1 of workshop)
Check-out: 12 pm
(last day of workshop)
A mix of jeep safaris
and on-foot photography
AM: 6:30 to 11:00
PM: 3:30 to 7:00
Max temp: 29°C
Min temp: 12°C
Asiatic wild ass
Arrive and check in to Rann Riders, Dasada, by noon.
Morning safari in the Rann followed by breakfast at the Rann Riders.
One final safari into the salt marshes before returning to the resort for breakfast and checkout.
Before the Workshop
We will ask you for:
– some basic information about your equipment
– your photos/portfolio
– your expectations from the workshop
Based on this, Sudhir will chart out best practices for your set of equipment. He will review the images and judge the areas that need working on.
Communicating your expectations beforehand will ensure that Sudhir addresses them during individual interactions with you.
During the Workshop
– Sudhir will demonstrate the best way to approach and shoot the subjects and give deeper insights on their behavioural aspects.
– He will introduce the advanced custom function settings of your camera. A firm understanding of these settings will be your first step toward shooting like a pro.
– In the park, he will continually guide you based on the field conditions and subjects.
– Knowledge sharing and image review will continue through the evenings as Sudhir interacts with you with focused inputs to reinforce the day’s learning.
– You will have assignments to complete, giving you ample scope to assimilate and apply all that you have learnt.
*For a detailed list of the topics covered, please scroll down.
After the Workshop
Your pursuit of photography knowledge doesn’t end with the workshop. The SSP Community is your gateway to continued learning and interaction, apart from being the ideal platform to showcase your best images. In addition to image review and critique by Sudhir and his team, you also gain the perfect peer group interaction to grow as a photographer. Theme-based assignments, healthy discussions, candid feedback, equipment reviews and resale are the other great perks of being part of this community.
*The below topics will be covered and the participants will learn how to apply these concepts in wildlife photography.
– Manual and autofocus (focusing points, autofocus lock, single or continuous focus)
– Manual exposure (ISO, shutter speeds, f/ stops and the light meter)
– Metering modes (evaluative, matrix, spot metering)
– Depth of field (shallow, deep, hyper focal distance)
– Motion (freezing, blurring and panning)
– Picture styles / picture control (colour, black and white, sepia etc…)
– Aperture priority, shutter speed priority, Manual exposure and other program modes
– In-depth coverage of Spot Metering, Evaluative / Matrix Metering, Partial Metering and Centre-Weighted Average
– Understanding exposure – the 18% concept
– White balance (pre-set and custom)
– Different kind of outdoor lighting and how to study / make use of it.
– Composition (framing)
– Elements of design (seeing v/s looking)
– Lenses and perspective (the right choice of focal length)
– Completing the story
During the course of the workshop, you will be taken through the fundamentals of image processing, and the following topics will be covered:
– Colour management policies (colour settings, working space, ICC profiles etc.)
– Working with RAW files
– Cropping and image editing
– Levels, curves, contrast, saturation adjustments
– Image sharpening, cloning, dodge and burn
– Noise reduction
– Advance concepts of targeted adjustments using masking and layers technique
– Saving for web/ printing
INR 28,500/- per person, on double occupancy
Any expense other than those listed in the “Inclusions” above.
Rann Riders, Dasada
Surrounded by wetlands, Rann Riders is an eco-friendly resort imaginatively designed using local materials to recreate the appearance of a village. Accommodations are in cottages, resembling the kooba houses of the Bajania community of Dasada and the bhunga houses of the Rabaris of Kutch, decorated with mirrors, mud-plaster work and embroideries. Each of the cottages has an a/c twin-bedroom, with a comfortable cane bed, a dry dressing area and a tiled bathroom with western-style toilet fittings and hot-and-cold showers.
– 80% fee to be refunded if cancellation is done 45 days prior to the event
– 50% fee to be refunded if cancellation is done between 30-45 days of the event
– 25% fee to be refunded if cancellation is done between 15-30 days of the event
– No refund if cancellation is done between 0-15 days of the event
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Reviews and Testimonials from SSP Students
I have been with Sudhir on many Photo tours. As a Woman traveller, I find Sudhir's Photo tours extremely safe and professional. The stay is very comfortable. The drivers and guides that cater to our safari tours are very knowledgable and know the forests and its animals well. The drivers and Guides are chosen by Sudhir personally to ensure the best experience to his tour participants. The...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir's photo tours are very carefully designed with a perfect balance of both theoretical and practical aspects of photography. The workshops are very interactive and Sudhir is always available to answer the questions patiently from the participants. He ensures that he accompanies all the participants equally during the safaris. To ensure best sightings and photo opportunities, Sudhir engages the best and most experienced drivers and guides at the parks. During...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir brings a very effective blend of passion and skills to the table and helps you uncover new facets of yourself in every session. His understanding that there really is no magical “one size fits all” approach to teaching enables him to adapt and switch gears as required to get the results you are after. Sudhir has been an invaluable asset in helping me nurture my understanding of wildlife and...
Do you want to be one of the first to know about our events, discounts and new content?