From catwalks to catnaps, Kabini is the place for all things “cats” – stripes, spots, simply black. Catch them sashay unhurriedly. Watch them slip into a sated siesta. And just when things start to get catty, shift your gaze to the elephant herd graze and amble by. There’s never a dull moment here, in Kabini…join your photography mentor Sudhir Shivaram to explore Kabini Cats.
While Kabini plays the perfect host for your tryst with the tiger, it also serves up delectable doses of the tiger’s more lithe and agile cousins – the leopard (and the Black Panther). These otherwise elusive cats have a habit of regularly regaling wildlife buffs at Kabini – the leopard being the leitmotif with cameo appearances by the panther. However, no description of this spectacular South Indian habitat is complete without mention of the gentle giants – the elephants. Acutely aware of your presence, yet perfectly unperturbed, these pachyderms are the epitome of strength, grace and dignity.
As water sources deep within the jungle dwindle, predator and prey alike skirt the peripheries. March in Kabini is therefore an excellent time to go for the dodgy big cats.
Why do the Kabini photography learning tour with SSP?
– On field guidance from Sudhir during the safaris to help you get the best images.
– On field review of images and feedback.
– Get the best drivers and guides/naturalists. Our drivers, especially, are trained to position vehicles in a manner most conducive to photographers.
– We choose the best season to maximise the photography opportunities.
– Luxury resort with top-of-the-line facilities.
Who should attend this tour?
– Quite simply, this tour is for anyone who wants to be an awesome wildlife photographer.
– You can be a rank beginner or have some experience wielding the camera, either way, SSP’s photography learning tour is bound to enhance your skill and knowledge.
– This is the ideal tour if you are looking to capture wildlife in all it’s glory, as we always plan our tours in the ideal season to make the best use of opportunity.
What can you expect from this tour?
– Practical on-field learning from Sudhir.
– Understand the various challenges of wildlife photography and learn how to arrive at the correct camera setting for a particular situation..
– Pre-visualising your images in the field and how to arrive at the camera setting for that.
– Discussions back in the camp as well to ensure all doubts are cleared for your next safari.
– At the end of this tour, gain enough practice and confidence to put your camera to optimal use – with respect to basic and certain advanced camera settings.
– Move away from taking images to making images.
While we are extremely serious about our photography, we never play down the importance of some good old-fashioned fun. And great food. Dinner time is our designated “huddle time” where we share safari stories that sometimes continue well past bedtime. So, what do we celebrate? Good times, great food, awesome friends. And of course, photography!!
Bangalore Airport is the nearest at 5.5-hour drive. Bangalore Rly Stn 4.5-hour drive and Mysore Rly Stn 1.5-hour drive.
Reach Bangalore latest by by 7:30 am on day 1 of workshop or previous day and book any flight after 7pm on last day of the workshop.
We will coordinate with you for your pickup/drop from/to airport/rly station. We generally do car pooling of participants arriving at around same time.
We recommend to carry 2 camera bodies along with a combination of a zoom lens like the 70-200 or the 100-400. The second body can have a tele lens like the 500mm/600mm/800mm. The 150-600 range is also an excellent lens for a single body. Get in touch with us as we can help you rent the equipment.
2 nights/3 days @ The Jungle Lodges and Resorts.
Check-in: Post 12 noon on day 1 of the workshop and checkout after the morning safari on last day of the workshop.
Total safaris - 4. Morning safari from 6:30am to 9:15am and evening safari from 4pm to 6:30pm.
Max temp: 35°C and Min temp: 28°C.
The key species we target during the workshop are Leopard, Tiger, Elephant, Black Panther (hopefully), Spotted deer, Sambar Deer, Wild Dogs and bird species.
You can get Camera-lens, binoculars, bird book, warm wear and essential medicines.
Here’s a complete overview of what happens in the SSP Kabini Photography learning tours.
1.Photography learning through indoor / outdoor sessions:
Sudhir will have interactive classroom photography sessions followed by hands on outdoor sessions to help the participants have a practical approach to the learning. These sessions help you pick up the basics and advanced concepts of photography and you can start applying them in the field.
2.Photography learning in the field during the safari:
Once you have understood the concepts in the indoor/outdoor classroom sessions, it’s time to implement them practically in the field. During the safari Sudhir will guide you with the camera settings and composition based on the challenges in the field. He will also give you few assignments to help you understand the concept of pre-visualization.
While we are extremely serious about our photography, we never play down the importance of some good old-fashioned fun and some great food. Kabini JLR has an awesome bar which we call as the water hole and we end up having a nice celebration there. the 2nd night there. So, what do we celebrate? Good times, great food, awesome friends. And of course, photography!!
The teaching and learning will not stop after the workshop. In fact this is just the starting point. You will be part of the SSP community on the SSP website where your learning and interactions with fellow photographers continues.
Before the Workshop
We will ask you for:
– some basic information about your equipment
– your photos/portfolio
– your expectations from the workshop
Based on this, Sudhir will chart out best practices for your set of equipment. He will review the images and judge the areas that need working on.
Communicating your expectations beforehand will ensure that Sudhir addresses them during individual interactions with you.
During the Workshop
– Sudhir will demonstrate the best way to approach and shoot the subjects and give deeper insights on their behavioural aspects.
– He will introduce the advanced custom function settings of your camera. A firm understanding of these settings will be your first step toward shooting like a pro.
– In the park, he will continually guide you based on the field conditions and subjects.
– Knowledge sharing and image review will continue through the evenings as Sudhir interacts with you with focused inputs to reinforce the day’s learning.
– You will have assignments to complete, giving you ample scope to assimilate and apply all that you have learnt.
– We will have a healthy competition among the participants where they will be the judge and select the winning image. This helps them understand the expectations of the judges in any competition.
After the Workshop
Your pursuit of photography knowledge doesn’t end with the workshop. The SSP Community is your gateway to continued learning and interaction, apart from being the ideal platform to showcase your best images. In addition to image review and critique by Sudhir and his team, you also gain the perfect peer group interaction to grow as a photographer. Theme-based assignments, healthy discussions, candid feedback, equipment reviews and resale are the other great perks of being part of this community.
*The below topics will be covered and the participants will learn how to apply these concepts in wildlife photography.
Fundamental and Advanced Concepts of Photography:
– Manual and autofocus (focusing points, autofocus lock, single or continuous focus, Focusing Sensors, AF cases, Advanced AF settings of camera)
– Manual exposure (ISO, shutter speed, Aperture)
– Metering modes (evaluative, matrix, spot metering)
– Depth of field (shallow, deep, hyper focal distance)
– Motion (freezing, blurring and panning)
– Picture styles / picture control (colour, black and white, sepia etc…)
– Aperture priority, shutter speed priority and program modes
– Understanding exposure – the 18% concept
– White balance (pre-set and custom)
– The temperature of light (natural and artificial colour cast)
– Composition (framing)
– Elements of design (seeing v/s looking)
– Lenses and perspective (the right choice of focal length)
– Completing the story
– Camera settings related to Wildlife Photography.
– Understanding Subject Behavioral aspects.
– Understanding your camera and shooting techniques.
During the Field Outing:
During the field outing, your mentor Sudhir Shivaram will help you make memorable images. Inputs provided on the field will enable you make the most of the opportunity.
The teaching and learning will not stop after the workshop. In fact this is just the starting point. You will be part of the SSP community of the SSP website where your learning and interactions with fellow photographers continues.
Rs. 32,000/- (plus 5% GST)
*Price is per person on double occupancy basis for Indian nationals.
** Please contact us in case of foreign nationals.
– All costs are ex-Jungle Lodges & Resorts, Kabini. However, at an added cost, we can arrange for transportation.
– Accommodation and all meals for 2 Nights / 3 Days stay at Jungle Lodges & Resorts, Kabini.
– 4 safaris and forest entry fee/guide charges.
– The forest department charges a nominal camera / lens fee which has to be paid at the resort. It is in the range of Rs 200-600 per safari depending on the equipment you carry.
– Driver / Guide tip of around Rs 500 per person which is not included in the package.
*Any other expenses outside of the above will have to be borne by the participants.
Named after the River Kabini, the River Kabini Lodge beckons with the promise of elephants, gaur, deer and a rumour of tiger. Located on the southern fringes of the Nagarahole National Park (Rajiv Gandhi National Park) , this former hunting lodge of the erstwhile Maharaja of Mysore was rated as One of the Top 5 Wildlife Resorts in the World by the British Tatler’s Travel Guide. A sprawling colonial estate in the heart of elephant country, the River Kabini Lodge echoes with the call of the wild.
Terms and Cancellation Policy:
75% fee of the total base cost to be refunded if cancellation is done 45 days prior to the event.
No refund if cancellation is done between 0-45 days of the event.
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Reviews and Testimonials from SSP Students
I have been with Sudhir on many Photo tours. As a Woman traveller, I find Sudhir's Photo tours extremely safe and professional. The stay is very comfortable. The drivers and guides that cater to our safari tours are very knowledgable and know the forests and its animals well. The drivers and Guides are chosen by Sudhir personally to ensure the best experience to his tour participants. The...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir's photo tours are very carefully designed with a perfect balance of both theoretical and practical aspects of photography. The workshops are very interactive and Sudhir is always available to answer the questions patiently from the participants. He ensures that he accompanies all the participants equally during the safaris. To ensure best sightings and photo opportunities, Sudhir engages the best and most experienced drivers and guides at the parks. During...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir brings a very effective blend of passion and skills to the table and helps you uncover new facets of yourself in every session. His understanding that there really is no magical “one size fits all” approach to teaching enables him to adapt and switch gears as required to get the results you are after. Sudhir has been an invaluable asset in helping me nurture my understanding of wildlife and...
Do you want to be one of the first to know about our events, discounts and new content?