The Stomping Ground – the habitat
Counted among India’s finest forests, Corbett keeps you enthralled from the get go as you thread your way along the pebbled jeep tracks with the Ramganga prancing alongside. The crisp mountain air and the forest scents lull you into a calm while the possibility of wild encounters keeps you nimble. Elephant herds saunter without a care in the world – a throwback to the times before deadlines and traffic jams got the better of us.
The Camera – shooting opportunities
Tiger sightings are a real possibility here, given Corbett’s impressive tiger numbers. Keep your shooting gear handy to capture the stealthy predator, the towering pachyderm and the splendid landscapes that adorn this jewel among jungles. Sudhir’s inputs on the basics of camera settings in any light condition or situation will come in handy. These lessons continue throughout the workshop – be it at the resort or in the field.
The Camaraderie – fun, food and friends
Photography is fun, no doubt. And with a bunch of hardcore photographers, it’s bound to be a riot. We always look forward to bonding as a group and forging an association that lasts long after the workshop has ended.
Ramnagar Rly Stn
35 km to Dhikala Zone
Train from Delhi to reach Ramnagar before 6:00 am on day 1 of workshop
Late evening train from Ramnagar to Delhi on last day of workshop
The tour begins and ends at
2 camera bodies
any wide angle lens
Long tele of 500mm or 600mm
3 nights/4 days
@Dhikala Forest Lodge
Check-in: 12 noon (day 1 of workshop)
Check-out: 12 noon (last day of workshop)
Total safaris - 8
AM: 6:00 to 11:00
PM: 2:30 to 6:30
Max temp: 40°C
Min temp: 27°C
Common bird species
Pickup from Ramnagar railway station and a short drive to Corbett Machan Resort to freshen up and for morning tea.
Wake-up call at 5:00 am
Wake-up call and safari as usual.
Before the Workshop
We will ask you for:
– some basic information about your equipment
– your photos/portfolio
– your expectations from the workshop
Based on this, Sudhir will chart out best practices for your set of equipment. He will review the images and judge the areas that need working on.
Communicating your expectations beforehand will ensure that Sudhir addresses them during individual interactions with you.
During the Workshop
– Sudhir will demonstrate the best way to approach and shoot the subjects and give deeper insights on their behavioural aspects.
– He will introduce the advanced custom function settings of your camera. A firm understanding of these settings will be your first step toward shooting like a pro.
– In the park, he will continually guide you based on the field conditions and subjects.
– Knowledge sharing and image review will continue through the evenings as Sudhir interacts with you with focused inputs to reinforce the day’s learning.
– You will have assignments to complete, giving you ample scope to assimilate and apply all that you have learnt.
*For a detailed list of the topics covered, please scroll down.
After the Workshop
Your pursuit of photography knowledge doesn’t end with the workshop. The SSP Community is your gateway to continued learning and interaction, apart from being the ideal platform to showcase your best images. In addition to image review and critique by Sudhir and his team, you also gain the perfect peer group interaction to grow as a photographer. Theme-based assignments, healthy discussions, candid feedback, equipment reviews and resale are the other great perks of being part of this community.
*The below topics will be covered and the participants will learn how to apply these concepts in wildlife photography.
– Manual and autofocus (focusing points, autofocus lock, single or continuous focus)
– Manual exposure (ISO, shutter speeds, f/ stops and the light meter)
– Metering modes (evaluative, matrix, spot metering)
– Depth of field (shallow, deep, hyper focal distance)
– Motion (freezing, blurring and panning)
– Picture styles / picture control (colour, black and white, sepia etc…)
– Aperture priority, shutter speed priority, Manual exposure and other program modes
– In-depth coverage of Spot Metering, Evaluative / Matrix Metering, Partial Metering and Centre-Weighted Average
– Understanding exposure – the 18% concept
– White balance (pre-set and custom)
– Different kind of outdoor lighting and how to study / make use of it.
– Composition (framing)
– Elements of design (seeing v/s looking)
– Lenses and perspective (the right choice of focal length)
– Completing the story
During the course of the workshop, you will be taken through the fundamentals of image processing, and the following topics will be covered:
– Colour management policies (colour settings, working space, ICC profiles etc.)
– Working with RAW files
– Cropping and image editing
– Levels, curves, contrast, saturation adjustments
– Image sharpening, cloning, dodge and burn
– Noise reduction
– Advance concepts of targeted adjustments using masking and layers technique
– Saving for web/ printing
Rs. 38,500/- per person (Indian nationals) (plus 5% GST)
Rs. 48,500/- per person (foreign nationals) (plus 5% GST)
– Pickup and drop from and to Ramnagar railway station
– Stay and all meals at Dhikala Forest Lodge RH for 3 nights & 4 days; includes breakfast on day 1 and lunch & dinner (at Ramnagar) on last day.
– Safari with 4 persons per vehicle
– Early check-in and late check-out charges on first and last days respectively
– Guide and driver fees and all permits for park entry
– Bottled water
– Morning and evening tea and cookies
– Rail or air fare
– Elephant safari inside Dhikala (depending on availability)
– Expense of personal nature such as tips, laundry, beverages etc.
– Anything NOT mentioned in the “inclusions” section above
Dhikala Forest Lodge
The forest department-run Dhikala Forest Lodge is located deep within the Corbett National Park, amid spectacular environs. This simple set-up with basic yet comfortable facilities gives a true feel of the wilderness. The rustic ambiance, the jungle backdrop, the faraway hills, the staple but flavoursome food all make for a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Rs 25,000 is non refundable once the Safari Permit is done for the participants. The refund policy below is applicable to remaining amount.
– 80% fee to be refunded if cancellation is done 45 days prior to the event.
– No refund if cancellation is done between 0-45 days of the event.
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Reviews and Testimonials from SSP Students
I have been with Sudhir on many Photo tours. As a Woman traveller, I find Sudhir's Photo tours extremely safe and professional. The stay is very comfortable. The drivers and guides that cater to our safari tours are very knowledgable and know the forests and its animals well. The drivers and Guides are chosen by Sudhir personally to ensure the best experience to his tour participants. The...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir's photo tours are very carefully designed with a perfect balance of both theoretical and practical aspects of photography. The workshops are very interactive and Sudhir is always available to answer the questions patiently from the participants. He ensures that he accompanies all the participants equally during the safaris. To ensure best sightings and photo opportunities, Sudhir engages the best and most experienced drivers and guides at the parks. During...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir brings a very effective blend of passion and skills to the table and helps you uncover new facets of yourself in every session. His understanding that there really is no magical “one size fits all” approach to teaching enables him to adapt and switch gears as required to get the results you are after. Sudhir has been an invaluable asset in helping me nurture my understanding of wildlife and...
Do you want to be one of the first to know about our events, discounts and new content?