The Stomping Ground – the habitat
Wetlands, dry grasslands and woodlands intersperse and overlap to form Bharatpur’s landscape that is nothing short of magical. Changing light conditions over the course of the day add to the mystique while giving you dramatic backdrops for your images.
The Camera – shooting opportunities
Subjects are aplenty here, and the landscape is varied. Unlike tiger destinations where you may have to anticipate and wait for your subject to cooperate, Bharatpur gives you the opportunity to apply your learning then and there. With the whole day to yourself (park is open until 6:30 pm), you get plenty of time to interact with and learn from Sudhir. He will offer practical guidance on how to approach your subjects, experiment with backgrounds, optimize your equipment, play with the light conditions and so on.
The Camaraderie – fun, food and friends
Photography is fun, no doubt. And with a bunch of hardcore photographers, it’s bound to be a riot. We always look forward to bonding as a group and forging an association that lasts long after the workshop has ended.
> New Delhi Airport
> Jaipur Airport
> Agra Rly Stn
Arrive at Delhi/Jaipur by 9 am
(day 1 of workshop)
Depart Delhi/Jaipur after
7 pm (last day of workshop)
We will coordinate
with you for
2 camera bodies
any wide angle lens
Long tele of 500mm or 600mm
4 nights/5 days
@ Hotel Sunbird
Check-in: 12 pm
(day 1 of workshop)
Check-out: 12 pm
(last day of workshop)
Full day safari
6:30 am to 6:30 pm
One cycle rickshaw
Very cold during
16.6°C to 24.0°C
Arrive and check-in.
Start early in the day with a sumptuous breakfast at 6:00 am and enter the park by 6:30 am.
Morning ride into the park and checkout by noon.
Before the Workshop
We will ask you for:
– some basic information about your equipment
– your photos/portfolio
– your expectations from the workshop
Based on this, Sudhir will chart out best practices for your set of equipment. He will review the images and judge the areas that need working on.
Communicating your expectations beforehand will ensure that Sudhir addresses them during individual interactions with you.
During the Workshop
– Sudhir will demonstrate the best way to approach and shoot the subjects and give deeper insights on their behavioural aspects.
– He will introduce the advanced custom function settings of your camera. A firm understanding of these settings will be your first step toward shooting like a pro.
– In the park, he will continually guide you based on the field conditions and subjects.
– Knowledge sharing and image review will continue through the evenings as Sudhir interacts with you with focused inputs to reinforce the day’s learning.
– You will have assignments to complete, giving you ample scope to assimilate and apply all that you have learnt.
*For a detailed list of the topics covered, please scroll down.
After the Workshop
Your pursuit of photography knowledge doesn’t end with the workshop. The SSP Community is your gateway to continued learning and interaction, apart from being the ideal platform to showcase your best images. In addition to image review and critique by Sudhir and his team, you also gain the perfect peer group interaction to grow as a photographer. Theme-based assignments, healthy discussions, candid feedback, equipment reviews and resale are the other great perks of being part of this community.
*The below topics will be covered and the participants will learn how to apply these concepts in wildlife photography.
– Manual and autofocus (focusing points, autofocus lock, single or continuous focus)
– Manual exposure (ISO, shutter speeds, f/ stops and the light meter)
– Metering modes (evaluative, matrix, spot metering)
– Depth of field (shallow, deep, hyper focal distance)
– Motion (freezing, blurring and panning)
– Picture styles / picture control (colour, black and white, sepia etc…)
– Aperture priority, shutter speed priority, Manual exposure and other program modes
– In-depth coverage of Spot Metering, Evaluative / Matrix Metering, Partial Metering and Centre-Weighted Average
– Understanding exposure – the 18% concept
– White balance (pre-set and custom)
– Different kind of outdoor lighting and how to study / make use of it.
– Composition (framing)
– Elements of design (seeing v/s looking)
– Lenses and perspective (the right choice of focal length)
– Completing the story
During the course of the workshop, you will be taken through the fundamentals of image processing, and the following topics will be covered:
– Colour management policies (colour settings, working space, ICC profiles etc.)
– Working with RAW files
– Cropping and image editing
– Levels, curves, contrast, saturation adjustments
– Image sharpening, cloning, dodge and burn
– Noise reduction
– Advance concepts of targeted adjustments using masking and layers technique
– Saving for web/ printing
INR 33,500/- per person, double occupancy
INR 43,500/- per person, single occupancy
Exclusive cycle rickshaw for each participant.
Accommodation in deluxe A/C Rooms at Hotel Sunbird with all meals.
(this includes packed hot lunch delivered to the park)
National park entry, camera fees, rickshaw charges, mandatory guide fees etc.
*All costs are ex-Bharatpur. Transportation will be arranged at an added (actual) cost.
**Any other expenses outside of the above will have to be borne by the participants.
Hotel Sunbird, Bharatpur, Rajasthan
Hotel Sunbird is ideally located a stone’s throw away from the Keoladeo Ghana National Park. With well appointed and spotlessly clean rooms, delicious food, and efficient staff, this is the ideal place to put up your feet and relax after a busy day of photography learning.
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Reviews and Testimonials from SSP Students
I have been with Sudhir on many Photo tours. As a Woman traveller, I find Sudhir's Photo tours extremely safe and professional. The stay is very comfortable. The drivers and guides that cater to our safari tours are very knowledgable and know the forests and its animals well. The drivers and Guides are chosen by Sudhir personally to ensure the best experience to his tour participants. The...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir's photo tours are very carefully designed with a perfect balance of both theoretical and practical aspects of photography. The workshops are very interactive and Sudhir is always available to answer the questions patiently from the participants. He ensures that he accompanies all the participants equally during the safaris. To ensure best sightings and photo opportunities, Sudhir engages the best and most experienced drivers and guides at the parks. During...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir brings a very effective blend of passion and skills to the table and helps you uncover new facets of yourself in every session. His understanding that there really is no magical “one size fits all” approach to teaching enables him to adapt and switch gears as required to get the results you are after. Sudhir has been an invaluable asset in helping me nurture my understanding of wildlife and...
Do you want to be one of the first to know about our events, discounts and new content?