The stomping ground – the habitat
Bandhavgarh harbours a varied landscape that comprises tropical moist, dry deciduous and mixed forests that intersperse with grasslands. The numerous tree species make it a kaleidoscope of shifting patterns and colours.
The camera – shooting opportunities
Tala and parts of Magadhi zones have mostly sal forests with vast open spaces, giving ample opportunity to experiment interesting compositions and landscape/habitat shots. Certain sections of Magadhi and most of Khitauli zone contain bamboo forests that can be somewhat challenging to shoot. This is where you get to gain from Sudhir’s experience and expertise as he demonstrates shooting and composition techniques to help you make the most of any situation.
The camaraderie – fun, food and friends
While we are extremely serious about our photography, we never play down the importance of some good old-fashioned fun. And great food. Dinnertime is our designated “huddle time” where we share safari stories that continue well past bedtime. Last night of the workshop is official party night where we match steps with the local tribal folk over a celebratory dinner. So, what do we celebrate? Good times, great food, awesome friends. And of course, photography!!
> Jabalpur Airport
> Umaria Rly Stn
> Katni Rly Stn
Arrive to reach Jabalpur by 3 pm
Depart Jabalpur after
3 pm (Nov 26)
We will coordinate
with you for
2 camera bodies
any wide angle lens
Long tele of 500mm or 600mm
4 nights/5 days
@ Pugdundee's Kings Lodge Resort
Check-in: Anytime on Nov 22
Check-out: Nov 26
after morning safari
Total safaris - 7
AM: 6:30 to 11:00
PM: 2:30 to 6:00
Max temp: 30°C
Min temp: 15°C
Lesser adjutant stork
Common bird species
Arrive and check in to Kings Lodges.
Morning and afternoon safaris – up, close, and personal with the tiger.
Morning safari and check out after breakfast.
Before the Workshop
We will ask you for:
– some basic information about your equipment
– your photos/portfolio
– your expectations from the workshop
Based on this, Sudhir will chart out best practices for your set of equipment. He will review the images and judge the areas that need working on.
Communicating your expectations beforehand will ensure that Sudhir addresses them during individual interactions with you.
During the Workshop
– Sudhir will demonstrate the best way to approach and shoot the subjects and give deeper insights on their behavioural aspects.
– He will introduce the advanced custom function settings of your camera. A firm understanding of these settings will be your first step toward shooting like a pro.
– In the park, he will continually guide you based on the field conditions and subjects.
– Knowledge sharing and image review will continue through the evenings as Sudhir interacts with you with focused inputs to reinforce the day’s learning.
– You will have assignments to complete, giving you ample scope to assimilate and apply all that you have learnt.
*For a detailed list of the topics covered, please scroll down.
After the Workshop
Your pursuit of photography knowledge doesn’t end with the workshop. The SSP Community is your gateway to continued learning and interaction, apart from being the ideal platform to showcase your best images. In addition to image review and critique by Sudhir and his team, you also gain the perfect peer group interaction to grow as a photographer. Theme-based assignments, healthy discussions, candid feedback, equipment reviews and resale are the other great perks of being part of this community.
*The below topics will be covered and the participants will learn how to apply these concepts in wildlife photography.
– Manual and autofocus (focusing points, autofocus lock, single or continuous focus)
– Manual exposure (ISO, shutter speeds, f/ stops and the light meter)
– Metering modes (evaluative, matrix, spot metering)
– Depth of field (shallow, deep, hyper focal distance)
– Motion (freezing, blurring and panning)
– Picture styles / picture control (colour, black and white, sepia etc…)
– Aperture priority, shutter speed priority, Manual exposure and other program modes
– In-depth coverage of Spot Metering, Evaluative / Matrix Metering, Partial Metering and Centre-Weighted Average
– Understanding exposure – the 18% concept
– White balance (pre-set and custom)
– Different kind of outdoor lighting and how to study / make use of it.
– Composition (framing)
– Elements of design (seeing v/s looking)
– Lenses and perspective (the right choice of focal length)
– Completing the story
During the course of the workshop, you will be taken through the fundamentals of image processing, and the following topics will be covered:
– Colour management policies (colour settings, working space, ICC profiles etc.)
– Working with RAW files
– Cropping and image editing
– Levels, curves, contrast, saturation adjustments
– Image sharpening, cloning, dodge and burn
– Noise reduction
– Advance concepts of targeted adjustments using masking and layers technique
– Saving for web/ printing
Rs. 50,500/- (plus 5% GST)
*Price is per person on double occupancy basis.
* Additional Rs 15,000 for single occupancy
– All costs are ex-Kings Lodge Resort at Bandhavgarh. However, at an added cost, we can arrange for transportation.
– Accommodation and all meals for 4 Nights / 5 Days stay at Kings Lodge Resort.
– 7 safaris (4 participants per vehicle), forest entry fee/camera fee/guide charges.
*Any other expenses outside of the above will have to be borne by the participants.
The lodge is set in a forested estate of 32 acres over looking sal forested hills on both sides. Bandhavgarh was established in 1968 as a National Park, and is spread over an area of 448 sq. kms. This national park was declared as a tiger reserve under Project Tiger in the year 1993. It is predominantly covered with vegetation like SAL, SALI, DHOBIN and has vast stretches of grasslands spread over 32 hills, the region though smaller than other wildlife parks has one of the highest density of tigers in the world.
Rs 25,000 is non refundable once the Safari Permit is done for the participants. The refund policy below is applicable to remaining amount.
Please note: The date of written (email) communication of intent to cancel is the date considered for calculation of the cancellation fees.
Reviews and Testimonials from SSP Students
I have been with Sudhir on many Photo tours. As a Woman traveller, I find Sudhir's Photo tours extremely safe and professional. The stay is very comfortable. The drivers and guides that cater to our safari tours are very knowledgable and know the forests and its animals well. The drivers and Guides are chosen by Sudhir personally to ensure the best experience to his tour participants. The...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir's photo tours are very carefully designed with a perfect balance of both theoretical and practical aspects of photography. The workshops are very interactive and Sudhir is always available to answer the questions patiently from the participants. He ensures that he accompanies all the participants equally during the safaris. To ensure best sightings and photo opportunities, Sudhir engages the best and most experienced drivers and guides at the parks. During...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Sudhir brings a very effective blend of passion and skills to the table and helps you uncover new facets of yourself in every session. His understanding that there really is no magical “one size fits all” approach to teaching enables him to adapt and switch gears as required to get the results you are after. Sudhir has been an invaluable asset in helping me nurture my understanding of wildlife and...
Do you want to be one of the first to know about our events, discounts and new content?